Sunday, February 1, 2009

Hi! It is time to meet Sutton. He is almost 7 months old. He is the sweetest boy in the world and his smile lights up the room! He is definitely the little ruler of our house. Some of his favorite things to do are to read with Mommy, Daddy and Gramma. He loves riding in his horsey, singing songs, playing with his train and all sorts of other cool toys. He loves playing with his cousins Henry, Saige, and Talmage (when he gets to come into town.) Sutton is an amazing little guy. He has slept through the night since he got home from the hospital, which is a huge blessing. He is always smiling and he has such an intuitive spirit. He knows when Daddy or Mommy need some love or a smile. Lately Sutton and I have had a lot of time to spend together talking about Grandpa Barney. I know Sutton understands my feelings and the loss we are experiencing. Its amazing the little things that he does to show he loves and cares about us. From reaching out and grabbing our hands to laying his head on our shoulder for a snuggle. He always calms down and is quiet while we say Momma and Sutton prayers. I know that his little spirit knows Grandpa Barney and I know that he misses him. It has been a little while since Grandpa passed away and I have gone back and forth debating whether to put up this little poem. In those rare and peaceful moments Sutton and I spend together the impressions that I received took shape. It started off slowly at first, just by updating our family blog and writing about Grandpa a little bit. I knew I wanted to write something that came from Sutton's sweet spirit about how we felt at this incredibly hard time in our lives. So together we came up with a little poem from Sutton;
Dear Grandpa:

Our time together was short on this earth,
But I’ve felt your spirit since the day of my birth.
The second I saw your eyes gazing at me,
I knew how precious my sweet life would be.
If there was a time I didn’t see you for a day or two,
I know you called a bunch asking what you could do.
My favorite place was at the ranch in your embrace,
Looking over the meadow, your strong hands caressing my face.
I always felt like the most special person around,
But ask anyone and they’ll say that’s what they found. Grandpa, you always told me that I looked just like me,
Not Mommy or Daddy and that made me feel extra happy.
I’ll never forget the peace and strength in your arms,
I felt at home and safe from all worldly harm.
When you walked in the room everything would be bright,
I want to be like you and will try with all of my might.
The warmth of your love soothed my young soul,
Losing that warmth was beyond my control.
Momma shares her great memories about you everyday,
Like holding your hand, your bear hugs, and special things that you’d say.
I know Mommy’s sad because I can see it in her eyes,
I can hear how she misses you in the sound of her cries.
I know how I miss you; six months went far too fast
But you left a great legacy and I know it will last.
I believe without doubt although my life is so new,
I’ll feel your guidance and love in all that I do!
So even though our horse rides will have to wait for a while,
I know you’ll be waiting for me, I'll feel the warmth of your smile
Then in the moment I’m back in your embrace
We’ll know one another as we meet face to face!









7 comments:

Anonymous said...

you have such a way with words
love, chris
ps. love the sutton update

kirstin said...

i am crying. that is so sweet, thanks for sharing that! love you!

Jenna Lee said...

such a sweet post.. I love both of the pomes, you are quite the writer. And your little guys is so darn cute, I love the picture of him on the horse... I need to get Braxto one of those!!

Team Candland said...

it is sooo good to see you putting up pictures of sutton. use his spirit to keep you strong. he is your little angel.

hey, can you send pics to my email? we don't have any and reagan looooves pics of her cousins.

mikeandsue_29@msn.com

Varney Family said...

You are so gifted with words! Thanks for updating. The pictures of Sutton are adorable. Love you Kim!

little ol' me said...

Hi Kim and Drummer--This is Suttons's favorite nurse, Susan, Elder Gratils'Mom. I loved your blog entry. The poem was so nice. I am glad to know that Sutton is doing so well and that you both are too. Tell your Mom, Justin and Lindsay hello from the Gratil family.

Amy said...

Sutton is such a cutie. Nice introduction. My blog is private so email me and I will invite you. amybevans@gmail.com