Wednesday, January 28, 2009

A few weeks ago my father passed away. It was sudden and completely unexpected. Nothing has ever hit me so hard and in such a shock as this did. I truly felt like I had been hit by a train, I was crushed! My dad was a huge part of my everyday life. He was truly larger than life and his legacy and example will continue to guide my life. I am honored to have had the privilege and blessing to have known such a man. A man who loved everyone whole heartedly, a man who is as Christ-like as any I've ever known. I know that his reunion in Heaven is Grand and there are so many who have been waiting to be wrapped in his glorious embrace, the same embrace that always made me feel completely loved, safe, strong, and taken care of. There was no fear in the world that was not melted away by Dad's strong arms wrapped around me. I could go on forever about Dad's greatness and all he has done for me but I guess what I should say is that God called him home because it was his time to return and there is no man so worthy and prepared to meet his Father than my own Father. It is with selfishness I wish him back here, to hold me, hug me and be here with me. Selfishness that longs for the phone message "Kimberly this is your Father. I was just checking to see how you are doing. I Love you", to put my small hand in his and feel distinctively both unconditional love and mighty strength at the same time, to be wrapped in his bear hug , to have his powerful hands rest upon my head as he offers a message that God would have me hear, to look into his eyes and see how much love he has for me and that he freely gives to me. I am truly thankful for my Mom! For the strength that she carries everyday. I know this has been heart breaking for her but she is standing strong and proud as the leader of our family. Her testimony of the gosperl is what gives her this strength and she has taught that to me throughout my life. I am grateful with all my heart that I was able to share a few feelings about my dad at his funeral. I didn't know what I could possibly say to honor and do justice to such an incredible man so I decided to read a poem that I wrote for him about three years ago. The words in the poem were true at the time I wrote them and will remain true for eternity. Here it is:

When I was just a little girl, There was nothing I could not do.
All I needed was Daddy's love, And all my dreams came true.
Something made you different, I knew that all along.
A young girls Perfect Hero, Who was always brave and strong.
You mended all my scratches, and healed my wounded heart.
A knight in shining armor, You always played the part.
Now that I am older, My hero you remain.
You’re still the hero who believes in me, But there has been a change. You still take care of me when I'm hurt, And give advice to guide my soul.
But now I see it’s more than that, Without you my life just would not be whole.
Your example has replaced the armor, And leads me in all I do.
You taught me to rely on the Lord, And faith will guide me through.
You told me that God loves me, And he wants me to come home.
Christ suffered the Atonement, So I won’t have to try alone.
So how do you tell your Hero the feelings that run so deep,
When words can't possibly dictate, they just make the feelings cheap. I guess the only answer is to say the best I can,
You are the Perfect Hero, You are the Greatest Man.
So to a little girls Knight in Armor, I hope that you can see,
My love for you is endless, And my Hero you'll always be!

6 comments:

Therena Taylor & Family said...

you are a very talented writer. Sorry I'm a bad friend and haven't talked to you in so long... I hope you're doing ok... let's go see a movie some time next week, i've been dying to go!

Jennifer said...

I love your blog! What a sweet post to dad... LOVE YOU!

Tracey said...

Kim - that is such a sweet post to your dad! You are an amazing writer. I hope you are doing okay... I pray for your entire family to have strength to endure to the end with this major loss! Your dad was an amazing person & will be missed by many people. Let's do lunch soon !

Varney Family said...

The blog looks GREAT!!! You have such a gift with words - I love the poem and YOU!!

Mechams said...

Wow...that was a great tribute to your Dad. Let's get together soon, k.

Kendra and Nathan said...

Thank you for sharing the poem. Now we have the copy! I love you Kimmy.